Are Pest Control Treatments Safe for People and Pets?

There are many government agencies in charge of managing pesticides in Australia. They strive to ensure that the chemicals don’t damage the environment or pose a threat to human health. The regulations are under the Pesticides Act 1999 and Pesticides Regulation 2017.

The need for regulating pest control treatments is because they are harmful to the environment and human health. Pesticides are beneficial, but they could cause harm if they are not used or stored correctly. Most of them don’t affect pets, but it’s still worth taking precautions when using them.

No homeowner wants to have a pest infestation around their home, but sometimes it’s inevitable. When using pesticides around the house, you need to take precaution to reduce the risk of adverse consequences. Prolonged use of the chemicals can cause respiratory problems to humans and animals alike.

However, there are ways in which you can use pesticides without posing harm to yourself, your children, or pets.  

Choose the Less Toxic Pesticide

It’s always wise to do some due diligence before purchasing any pesticide. You can consult a trusted pest control company if you’re unsure of anything. Look out for words that signal danger or potential risk associated with its use.

Some of the most commonly used words are caution, danger, or warning. The word caution signifies that the product has the least toxicity levels. It can produce mild side effects when absorbed by the body.  A warning sign indicated moderate toxicity, while a danger sign indicated high toxicity levels.

A pesticide labeled “danger” is considered poisonous, and the word poison is also indicated. It’s crucial for you to read the label to check the signal words. The tag also provides other critical information like directions for use and whether the product is approved for use.

Store Poisons and Baits Safely

Regardless of the level of toxicity of a pesticide, always store it away from the reach of children and pets. Most pesticide baits are prepared using food substances attractive to pets. Your pets can also dig up the baits, and as such, bury them where pets can’t find them easily.

Secure Food and Personal Belongings

Before using pesticides, ensure that all human and pet food is covered. The best option is to take it away from the area you intend to treat, mainly if you use spray-form pesticides. Toys and clothing must also be kept at a safe distance away from the treatment area.

Pesticide residue on these items can be harmful when it comes in contact with the skin.

Avoid Using Illegal Pesticides

The market has experienced an infiltration of illegal pesticides. If you them online, you need to get them from trusted sources. Unfortunately, some pest control companies apply them in their treatment procedures. Most of them are very effective in eliminating pests, but they’re more harmful than the legal types.

Most of them are available in the form of chalk, and their application is as simple as drawing using a chalk stick. The dust easily gets blown off in the air, posing the risk of inhaling it.

Keep Children and Pets Away

During the treatment process, it’s highly recommendable to have your children and pets stay away. This minimizes their risk coming into contact with the harmful chemicals. If you’re treating your pets for lice and other pests, don’t allow your children to touch them until they’re completely dry.

After a pest control treatment, ensure everyone washes their hands before going about the day-to-day activities.

The Takeaway

Pest control treatments contain some level of toxicity. Some contain more poisonous ingredients than others, but all of them call for a lot of care during use. Using the above tips and employing the services of a professional will ensure your safety and that of your pets.

Share this:

Perry

Leave your thought here

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *